Special Services Contents » Home Hospital

Home Hospital

District Contact: Lucas Jaeger

e-mail: jaegerL@wvsd208.org
Phone: 509 972 5562
Fax: 509 965 2127


1000 South 72nd Ave
Yakima, WA 98908



Frequently Asked Questions


What is Home Hospital?
Home/hospital instruction is provided to students who are temporarily unable to attend school for an estimated period of four weeks or more because of a physical and/or mental disability or illness. The program does not provide tutoring to students caring for an infant or a relative who is ill.


Who is eligible for Home/hospital?
Home/hospital is limited to services as deemed necessary to provide temporary intervention as a result of physical and/or mental disability or illness. Home/hospital services are limited to a maximum of 18 weeks. Weeks of absences may be consecutive or intermittent but may not exceed the 18-week limit.


What does a parent or adult student need to do to get Home/hospital services?
If the student is expected to be absent from school for a period of at least four weeks, a request for Home/hospital instruction can be made. That request may be found here and needs to be sumbitted to the district special services director, Melissa Madsen at 1000 South 72nd Ave, Yakima, WA 98908. The request needs to include:

  • the Student’s name.
  • the diagnosis
  • the qualified medical practitioner’s (MD, DO, ARNP, PA, DDS, DMD, DPM) signature, date, and anticipated weeks of absence.
  • whether the request is an o riginal request or extension.
  • whether or not the individual education program (IEP) team needs to meet.

Is Home/hospital service provided during vacations?
No, tutoring is not provided during school vacations unless students are enrolled in a district summer school program.


How about if the student is intermittently absent?
If a student is expected to be absent from school intermittently and if these intermittent absences will total at least four weeks but no more than a semester during a school year, the student may be served under the Home/hospital program. Home/hospitaltutoring cannot begin for a student if less than four weeks of school remain.


Are students who only attend a private schools eligible for H/H Instruction?
Yes, as an ancillary service. The student must be enrolled in the public school district to be eligible for service.


Are students who attend private schools while enrolled part-time or full-time in a public school eligible for Home/hospital Instruction?
Yes, as an ancillary service. The student must be enrolled in the public school district to be eligible for service.


Is Home/hospital limited to 18 weeks total Home/hospital instruction per student or total for the school year? 

There is a limit of 18 weeks per school year. Exceptions may be granted based upon individual circumstances. Contact Health Services at OSPI for further assistance if an exception is requested. Factors considered in determining extensions include:

  • What is the health condition, will it be resolved soon or is it ongoing?
  • Is it for the entire school year?
  • If there is less than 4 weeks left in the school year?
  • Will the student graduate that year?
  • Is the student expected to be well enough to attend school the following year?
  • Does the district need time to re-evaluate for special education?

If a student is anticipated to remain absent for an entire year what services are available? 
If a longer absence from school is expected due to a medical condition that qualifies as a disability under Section 504 or IDEA, IDEA is a federal law that entitles students with disabilities to a free appropriate public education (FAPE) , the student should receive homebound services under Section 504 or IDEA. Seehttp://www.k12.wa.us/SpecialEd/pubdocs/TAP1.pdf for more information. Home/hospital is designed for temporary services only. Homebound services must provide for disabled students under FAPE and may be intensive. If a student is expected to remain absent for an entire year, the school district needs to consider other educational programs. See http://www.k12.wa.us/AlternativeEd/default.aspx for alternative educational programs.


Can a student be on a 504 plan and obtain Home/hospital instruction at the same time?
Yes, Home/hospital instruction may be used on a temporary basis for a student with a 504 plan.

What school staff can be used as tutors?
The district determines who the tutors are and how many hours per week they tutor. The tutor must be employed by or contracted with the school district, which would disallow volunteers and students as tutors.

What if the physician writes Home/hospital instruction for longer than 18 weeks? 
The program is limited to 18 weeks per school year, with some extensions allowed after consultation with OSPI. However, if the student’s condition qualifies as a disability, other services shall be used as noted in FAQ number three.

How does the tutoring program at Children’s Hospital apply to Home/hospital instruction? 
Children’s Hospital is provided direct funding for Home/hospital instruction to offer tutoring while a student is hospitalized. Brian Ross is the contact person at Children’s (phone: (206) 987-6434).

Can a Certified Nurse Midwife sign a request for Home/hospital Instruction? 
Yes, Certified Nurse Midwives function under a similar scope of practice as A.R.N.P.s in Washington and may sign the request. They have authority to write prescriptions and practice as primary health care providers.

Can a student stay home with a baby postpartum to care for the infant?
No, the program does not provide tutoring to students caring for an infant or a relative who is ill. A student is however eligible for Home/hospital instruction for her postpartum recovery (at least 4 weeks and with health care provider verification).

Can a student who is home schooled and then becomes ill or injured receive H/H? 
If the student is enrolled in the public school district on a part-time or full-time basis, he could qualify for Home/hospital instruction as an ancillary service.

Can a tutor administer the WASL? 
Yes, however the tutor must be trained as a proctor as described in the WASL directions for administration.

What if the health care provider writes an order for four weeks of absence and the student returns to school sooner is the district still eligible to receive H/H funding? 
The district may still claim reimbursement for the number of weeks the student received H/H services.

Can a student receive Home/hospital tutoring in the summer? 
If the student is enrolled in summer school, the student may be eligible to receive Home/hospital tutoring services if all Home/hospital criteria are met.

Does the tutor need to be a certificated staff member? 
If the district is providing teaching instruction to Home/hospital students, the teacher must be certified.  If they are only providing instructional aides or para professionals to assist the student while in a home/hospital setting to stay current with their assignments by their regular teacher, they do not need to be certified. However, if the students are Title I or Special Education designated, additional requirements would apply.