SUBSTITUTE TEACHING IN WEST VALLEY
Substitute Coordinator-West Valley Schools
LeAnne Ries (509) 972-6008
All substitute teachers must hold a valid Washington State Teaching Certificate or Emergency Substitute Certificate with WVSD #208 listed as approved school.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE-applications are accepted when there is a need to grow our substitute pool.
To have your name placed on our substitute teacher's list, you must successfully pass a pre-employment substance abuse screening before employment. A criminal history records check through the Washington State Patrol/FBI must also be conducted pursuant to RCW 28A.400. It will be the substitute teacher's responsibility for payment of fingerprinting and substance abuse screening costs. Please contact Human Resources for fee amounts. (509) 972-6015 You will need to also complete all other required HR paperwork.
PROCEDURE FOR ASSIGNING SUBSTITUTES:
We utilize an internet based substitute assignment system - AESOP. This enables the teacher to submit his/her absence online, and it also enables the substitute to access the available jobs in the same manner. Substitutes don't need to wait for a phone call, they are free to accept any assignment they would like to. It is a system which greatly streamlines the substitute assignment procedure. There will be automated phone calls made by AESOP, the night before or the morning of an absence. After you as a substitute, complete the necessary paperwork and clearances, your name will be placed into AESOP, with a username and password. This will give you the ability to immediately begin to accept assignments.
EMERGENCY SCHOOL CLOSURE:
In the event of a school closure or delayed start time in West Valley School District due to in-clement weather and/or conditions, the closure or delay will be announced on the local radio or television stations. A Flash Alert will also be issued via email and app. The district voicemail system will also provide accurate information regarding such closure/delays at 972-6002.
Be sure to report directly to the office upon arrival to any school.
WHAT THE PRINCIPAL WILL EXPECT OF YOU
- That you follow the teacher's lesson plans. Where plans ask you to do something for which you are unprepared or do not sufficiently fill the day that you will have some favorite and successful alternative activities to adapt to the subject matter.
- That you practice solid teaching methods.
- That you learn the procedures given you.
- That you will expect the day to show quality and will actively strive for that quality.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE TEACHER
- Advance notice when possible, which will include a chance to talk about plans.
- An up-to-date seating chart.
- A schedule of the typical classroom routines.
- Adequate lesson plans with the necessary resources to carry them out.
- Directions on where to obtain student materials.
- Special notes about homework, student health problems, possible discipline situations and regular student helpers/aides.
- Special helpers will be prepared to do specific helpful functions.
WHAT THE TEACHER WILL EXPECT OF YOU:
- A summary note evaluating the performance of the class on planned activities for the day.
- Work that can be corrected will be corrected.
- That you will contact a helpful teacher or the principal early in the day if you need assistance.
Observation of other teachers during a preparation time is one of the most practical ways of adapting to the teaching style of a building. Each school has a library and audiovisual department. Each is staffed with professionals to assist you in developing appropriate activities and to coach you in the use of equipment.
Ahtanum Valley Elementary (509) 972-5500
Richard Pryor, Principal
Apple Valley Elementary
Heidi Sutton, Principal
Sherry Adams, Principal
Mountainview Elementary (509) 972-5530
Nick Hartman, Principal
Eva Lust, Principal
Wide Hollow Elementary
Richard Ferguson, Principal
Special Education Services (509) 972-5560
Lucas Jaeger, Director
West Valley Middle School
Bill Oppliger, Principal
Russ Tuman, Asst. Principal
Heidi Taylor, Associate Principal
West Valley Junior High School
Bill Oppliger, Principal
Crystal McDonald, Asst. Principal
Kevin VanDeBrake, Associate Principal
West Valley High School
Ben McMurry, Principal
Sarah Flickinger-Peterson, Asst. Principal
West Valley High School - 972-5900
Ben McMurry, Principal
Chris Nesmith, Asst. Principal/CTE
Justin Wright, Asst. Principal
Klayton Wyckoff, Asst. Principal
Dr. Michael Brophy, Supt. 972-6005
Dr. Peter Finch, Asst. Supt. 972-6007
Angela Watts, Asst. Supt. of
Business and Finance 972-6006
Randy Souers, Director of Human Resources 972-6015
Gilbert Saenz, Payroll 972-6018